Mrs. Kovalsky - School Nurse
PLEASE JOIN MY GOOGLE CLASSROOM USING CODE od47m7r.
YOU WILL FIND INFORMATION THAT MAY HELP YOU THROUGH THIS QUARANTINE AND THESE DIFFICULT TIMES. THERE ARE RESOURCES FOR BOTH STUDENTS AND ADULTS. I HAVE ALSO INCLUDED FIRST-AID GUIDES THAT MAY PROVE HELPFUL IN THE CASE OF MINOR INJURIES.
The Shanthi Project is here at Harmony!
The Shanthi Project is an 8-week program where students in third grade are learning coping skills that include mindfulness and movement to help build resilient children!
Mindfulness is a state of mind achieved by increasing awareness on the present moment and striving to accept one's thoughts, feelings, and sensations without judgment.
Practicing mindfulness can improve emotional and physical wellbeing. Mindfulness can:
- Help relieve stress
- Improve sleep
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce chronic pain
Here is an activity you can do with your child to increase mindfulness.
Body Scan (Body awareness)
This activity will help your child focus on the present and increase their awareness of their body. It's a great activity to do together (Best for children 5 yrs and older)
- Get comfortable. Sit in a straight-backed chair or lie down comfortably on the floor.
- Breathe in through your nose, allowing the air into your lower belly. Let your belly expand fully with the breath.
- Now bring your attention to the sensations in your body. Notice subtle body sensations such as an itch or tingling - and then let them pass.
- Now focus on sensations in each section of your body in succession. Start at the top of your head and slowly work your way down to your toes. As you scan each area of your body, notice the sensations - and then, once again -- let them pass.
- After you have scanned your body from head to toes, take three deep belly breaths to end the practice.
"WAIT UNTIL 8TH"
INITIATIVE FOR SMARTPHONES
For more information go to www.waituntil8th.org
HOW MUCH SCREEN TIME IS TOO MUCH FOR YOUR CHILD???
Read this interesting article and take the quiz to see how excessive screen time may be impacting your child.
For MORE great nutrition tips, kid-friendly recipes and wellness information, please check out the latest Nutrition Nuggets newsletter here.
To access previous issues please click on the Nutrition Nugget Newsletter link on the menu.
Scoliosis screenings will be conducted on all students in 5th and 7th grades. If your child has had a pre-participation physical for archery they will not need additional screening. If you have any questions please contact me!A large part of my school nurse responsibilities here at Harmony is topromote the health of school children through partnerships with the children,their families, school staff, community organizations and allied professionals.Health is the expression of physical, psychological, spiritual and social well-being.When these components are in balance, optimal success can be achieved and learning is enhanced.***Protect yourself, your family, and community from mosquitoes...Help control mosquitoes that spread Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika VirusesIf you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at908-859-1001 ext 190.